In Genesis 18:19 the Lord said to Abraham that He had chosen him to lead his descendents in the way of the Lord by doing what was right and just. It is a privilege (not a burden) to be chosen by God to obey Him, because obedience brings many blessings. For example:
1. To obey is to know
- In choosing one to obey, God reveals His precious word and purpose.
- Just to know God’s word is a blessing in itself.
2. To walk in the way of the Lord is to find peace and delight
- Unlike sinners whose paths are filled with conflict and grief, the way of God’s chosen ones is filled with blessings and joy.
3. The end of obedience is eternal life
- To know the word, and respond to it, is to express one’s faith unto salvation.
- By faith we are saved and prepared for an eternal life with God.
Obedience to God has been portrayed as the loss of one’s freedom and happiness in this world. But for those blessed enough to live each day with the view to obeying God, this has become the way to our true life and eternity.